Friday, January 30, 2009

"I have the hottest friends." -by Tregg

This blog isn't going to make me any friends, but I have been thinking about writing it for a long time, so I'm just going to write it.  Bring on the consequences, this is America.

I have noticed for years now, ever since the glorious invention that brought photographs to Facebook (yes, there indeed was a time where you could only have a profile photo on Facebook, and no albums.  Atrocious, right?) that most people aren't very creative with photo captioning.  I have come to terms with this, since most people's crafting of the English language is markedly sub-par.  But one common theme I've noticed in several people's photo captioning occurs when there are a large group of people posing but not doing anything out of the ordinary to comment on.  You may have known this too, and I'm willing to bet you've thought the same thing.

What is the caption, you may ask?  If you haven't guessed by now, I'll tell you.

To give an example:
Posing for a picture with some hotties

Now... let me explain my beef with this.  I am not exactly saying everyone in this photo is ugly.  However, I think it's safe to say that no one is GORGEOUS.  Society, and individuals for that matter, are very attune to beauty and can certainly pick it out of a crowd.  The question I pose is:  why draw more attention to the already plainness of the company you keep by calling them HOT?  
I would understand this label if said people in photo were dressed up for a special occasion.  A wedding, birthday dinner, or some important work function.  But if you are wearing casual clothes, throwing your arms over each other, and are standing underneath a drop ceiling, I'd venture to say no one would look hot.

I'm not sure what side of this problem I am taking issue with.  The lack of creativity involved in captioning photos, or the lack of awareness people have for their surroundings.

I know, I'm going to hell.

But let the record show:  this image was saved under the name "Erica and Paul pose with ugly people.jpg" by someone that wasn't me.  I typed "ugly people" into Google Images and found it.  Try and see.  

At least that person was more honest.

"Whoa, a little harsh, Gretch."

2 comments:

Loves It or Hates It said...

Drop ceiling. HATES IT!!

Nate said...

LIOHI is on FIRE lately! This post is top notch.